20090120

Ah, Stephen Fry.

I say the name like i would an old friend, despite the fact i have only discovered his genius person this last week. Well, spit it out, who is he? I hear you ask. Stephen Fry is, to use an apt descriptive quote a 'veritable renaissance man'- involving himself in arts all across the cultural spectrum. He has pulled up the pantaloons as a dramatist, authoured numerous novels, been the co-creator of a hilarious comedy series, hosted a wonderfully offbeat quiz show AND- remarkably riding the technological wave- has his own highly entertaining 'podgrams'.

Back to the hilarious comedy series. I doubt you would have heard of it, but perhaps your parents have- A Bit of Fry and Laurie. The latter, first name Hugh, would perhaps be more familiar to you as his character of House.

Ah, laurie, laurie. How could you desert BBC comedy and instead fornicate with the more dubious genre of a ten drama? I feel somewhat betrayed. That commercial station has sodomised him, converted him, or at least his image. He may be more prominent in the public's eye, but since when has that social organ been credited any real taste?

While i am disappointed with the guy, i have reached some new moral depth of my soul in being able to forgive him. I am able to grant that no other offers may have sprung up, and so, grappling to sustain a successful career and earn a few dollars, he turned (it would have to be reluctantly for me to feel a jot of sympathy), no he dragged himself to that interview. And the only reason he got the part of the saturnine House was because he was feeling so gloomy, petulant and irascible at the time. And his character of the man is stellar in itself because he is innately cantankerous at being awarded the role after all.

Anyway, back to Fry.

He is, in my opinion, a literary genius; the kind of rare witty intellectual that i have never before witnessed in my life. One of the things i admire most about him is his clarity and depth and imagination when speaking. There is always life in his words. Some might classify him as a bit of a periphrastic highbrow. I'll say it once, and once only. The are wrong. On this issue there is no leniency in my breast, and i simply cannot permit anything but an opinion that is completely adjacent to my own. At least not an opinion spoken within my hearing range.



The following are two of my favourite clips watched thus far from 'qi', his quiz show:


http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=13VEonU3hWU

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Ma7bZ2dH0

By the way, you should download the perfume soundtrack. It's excellent.

I circumnavigated Monger Lake today. Rather proud really. I've been meaning to do that every since the holidays began, but the very idea rather daunted me; or at least the idea that i would collapse from sheer unfitness halfway through and some casual stroller would find me heaving on the ground like a beached whale and be forced to call an ambulance. All in all, the plan did seem to be fraught with physiological danger. But something caught me this afternoon, some ambitious whim, and as soon as i was out the door, my feet wouldn't stop until they had completed the circuit and had returned to the doorstep. No, i lie. I did stop for a while to listen to an enrapturing segment of Fry's podgram, but i don't suppose it's of any consequence. You need the odd embellishment here and there. I have ruined it by my confession, but don't worry, this blog is filled with countless other minor embellishments and exaggerations.

No comments: