20080702

yo!

I'm afraid i've given up entirely on Robinson Crusoe. Why it is a classic i have no idea. Why does he have to be puntilious??? It's like reading maths....
Therefore, it has been replaced by a book called 'Tomorrow's People'. It's supposed to be non-fiction, hypothesizing the effects the ever-evolving technology will have on our future selves. However, it is so blatantly subjective, it may as well be fiction. I mean, there's so many 'it this's' and 'if that happened' when predicting the future, such a plethora of factors that would effect the projected outcome. The author's talking about a world where the family unit has dissipated entirely, that we talk only through our cyber-selves, where there are buttock sensors on the loo, and instruments in the toilet to analyse our shit to detect disease. Where we interact (and what's more, choose to interact) with artificially intelligent robots more than other humans.
If you ask me, she's getting carried away with her imagination. Influenced by films such as AI and I, Robot. I mean, she's a scientist, a neurologist, so she is marginally certified to write such an audacious book. But i'm struggling to see her purpose in writing it. How can i be persuaded to fear somethign that has little chance of ever enventuating? Did she expect her readers to tke her seriously?
But i'm still reading it, because her wild contentions are amusing and mildly interesting.

QUOTES OF THE DAY:

"Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing." --Robert Benchley

"I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality." --Bob Hope

"For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain."

"Join The Army, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them."

No comments: