20080528

I can't think of a good title

Do you know how lazy i am?

I open the fridge to get a drink. I see the water jug sitting just how it's always been. I reach out to grab its handle. Then i stop. I've seen the half-filled water bottle sitting next to it. It beckons to me. I add up my options. Exert the effort of getting out a glass from the cupboard and performing the strenuous task of pouring- or pick up that bottle and drink straight from it.
It doesn't take long to decide. I don't even close the fridge. It's simply open fridge door, take a swig, then close.

I've neglected my crosswords for so long. Like crossword crosswords...not the cryptic ones. The straight ones. Like a synonym for 'seldom' or whatever. I've appalled at my limitations. God, i struggle to think of another word for 'messy'. That is pitiful.

*sigh of content* I'm listening to R.E.M right now. They're awesome. I can never think of a more intelligent adjective than 'awesome'. It's the only word that can express my penchant towards a music band, or a friend, or a movie. Always, "she's awesome", "counting crows are awesome", "Bruce Almighty is awesome". I'll look it up in the thesaurous. Let's see.

awesome = overwhelming, grand, breathtaking, splendid, tremendous, remarkable, amazing, awe-inspiring, astounding, humbling.

They all sound so pompous though. Oh yes, they're jolly splended, wot wot, jolly and other posh english-sounding waffle.

I've noticed, in these blogs, i rarely ever talk about stuff that i do. When i write, i don't want to talk about stuff that i already know, most of the time. I want to explore. I want to see how far i can go. I want to find something that i never knew was there.

Perhaps i should follow a course, though. Sporadic thoughts leap about the page- it's no wonder my essay structure is so poor. Nah...i like surprising myself. I like it here because it's limitless. No rules, no boundaries, no rigid fences declaring stoutly 'paragraph' and 'introduction' and 'topic sentence' (how foul those words taste under my fingers).

There's something i'm really confused about. You know that text that was supposed to 'save' me? "A Little Red Writing Book"? I still love it- it helped me to realise how much i loved writing once. How it wasn't always a tedious task that i had struggle to work up the nerve to start, and get going on, and finish (for school anyway). But it keeps saying 'don't use big words. they sound pompous, and indicate you don't have a clear idea of what you're saying. too ambiguous'. It stresses not to nominalise (make verbs into nouns and stuff). Like, say

The ecosystem is becoming serverly damaged by humans.
vs.
The debiliation of the functionings of our ecosystem is primarily a result of the pernicious actions of man.

(i.e. the guy's saying stick with the simple). BUT get this, while he's saying to nominalise is a sin itself, my history teacher actually GAVE OUR CLASS A SHEET ON HOW TO NOMINALISE. She says its a good thing. It makes you sound smart, and all that shit. But seriously...which is easier to read? They both mean the same thing. It's just going to frustrate the reader if you consistently try to apply the whole dictionary in a single sentence. They're attention will start to wander...and then you're screwed. So which one do i go with? I like the reasoning of this guy. His writing is like a breath of fresh air when all this time you didn't realise you were inhaling musty soot.

ah. I really want to read...um, whatsername, virginia woolf. There was a section of Mrs Dalloway in the book...and it was amazing. Amazing. God, do you know, i just gave this huge shiver then just thinking about it. I'm not kidding. Then, it could be a coincidence- it's been raining all day, and i'm wearing only short-sleeves.

Well, i've written a lot today. I always do when i'm not supposed to. When i have other more important things to do. It loses some of its magnetising appeal when i'm a free man (saying free woman sounds so weird. I'm being figurative in my terms here. Like mankind. Don't worry, i'm not facing a gender crisis).

should go. oh, i don't want to :(. I just want to write my whole brain across the page (it wouldn't take too long anyway).


QUOTE OF THE DAY: (R.E.M.--i'll take the rain)

The wind blew strong
The summer song
Fades to memory

I knew you when
I loved you then
The summer's young and helpless.

You laid me bare
You marked me there
The promises we made.

I used to think
As birds take wing
They sing through life so why can't we?
You cling to this
You claim the best
If this is what you're offering
I'll take the rain...

No comments: