20071202

garden city escapade

(nice sammie. [kate attempts to smother a chuckle. unsuccessfully])

I went to Garden City yesterday for Secret Elf..and i needed to get some clothes for Tasmania as well. Eh. hate shopping. My sister was in her element, whipping out skirts and dresses and shorts that (if they were a centimetre shorter) could pass off as undergarments. And me? I ended up buying a couple of shorts from K-mart. Yeah, i know, out of all the stores; Live, Katie, Jay Jays, forever new, etc, i chose clothes from the crappiest store there was in the whole darn place. Meh- they were cheap. Plus, i feel uncomfortable in all those high-fashion places- like i don't belong. There are all these hot chicks running expert eyes over slinky chic silks, their manicured nails inspecting price tags...and then there's me...standing there. In boardies and a baggy t-shirt. Trying not to curl my lip or turn my toes inward at my own severe inadequecies at fitting in. Sis was a 'good mentor' though.
guess what? we went to diva and saw this packet of three pairs of earrings. There were also these skull earrings- except they were on a different three pack.
Amy: 'hey! why don't we switch them around?'
Kate (pauses) : 'OK'
The two sisters fumble inconspicuously with the packets and transfer them from one packet to the other. They waltz up to the counter.
Counter chick: "just this one?'
Amy: 'yeah'
then, the transferred earrings fall off from the packet, because they were not secured with those little bits of plastic at the back.
Counter chick: 'hang on. these ones don't seem to have backing.'
Amy looks desperate. Kate assumes a bemused expression.
Counter chick: 'i'll just get you another packet. hey anne! can you get another one of these?'
Amy twitches as counter chick puts the packet beside the cash register.
Counter chick: 'here we go! that'll be $9.95 thanks!' [bloody expensive ey?]
The two walk off, Kate still grinning.
Kate: bugger.

I am so easily swayed. I really shouldn't have agreed to the plot- i know it was wrong. But you know, it's like old times. I could never really say no to amy.

QUOTE(s) OF THE DAY: (from one-hour photo...i watched it last night. talk about creepy- but i still felt such as surge of pity for Sy, the main character. Poor guy.)

Sy Parrish: People take pictures of the happy moments in their lives. Someone looking through our photo album would conclude that we had led a joyous, leisurely existence...free of tragedy. Nobody takes a picture of something they want to forget.

Sy Parrish: Most people don't take snapshots of the little things. The used Band-Aid, the guy at the gas station, the wasp on the Jell-O. But these are the things that make up the true picture of our lives. People don't take pictures of these things.

Sy Parrish: And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture. [please do not apply this quote to me!]

No comments: