20080608

do not read if you despise the tedious

"Hamlet is the most opular play in ourlanguage. It amuses thousands annually and it stimulates the minds of millions...The lowest and most ignorant audienes delight in it. The soure of the delight is twofold: First its reach of thought on topics the most profound; for the dullest soul can feel a grandeur which it cannot understand and will isten with hushed awe to the outpourings of a great meditative mind obstinately questioning fate; secondly, its wondrous dramatic variety."

wow. that's so true. I am overawed in my reading- and yet this amazement does not stem from a realisation and decryption of the profound truths inbedded in the play, but rather from sensing that great and unmatchable ideas shimmer in the passages. I know they mean something incredible- just don't ask me what.
I think its because i am so relieved when i eventually understand the surface value of the words- through translating the Elizabethian into the common tongue- that i kind of forget to look further. I am facing a dilemma. Am i expected to look further? Really deep? I am aware that often when i try to, i hit far off the mark, and end up being nothing but ambiguous.

wow. i suck.

No comments: