20080617

Fight men! Fight to the death!

I took an unusual attitude turn for the pugnacious in History today.
We re-enacted the Treaty of Versailles- placed into groups which were representatives of certain countries. I was a pseudo diplomat for Germany. [although, historically, Germany's spokespersons didn't even take part in the peace conference. They were made to stay in a hotel room while the Allies ordered out the exorbitant charges to be laid against them].
You should have seen us at the start of the 'meeting'. We were all yelling on top of each other. I didn't know it then, but "France" (our neighbouring country, who loathed Germany at the time, as we had invaded their country twice in the last 50 years on top of wreaking significant damage during WWI) had been instructed to pointedly ignore everything we said during the conference. The others all wanted us to pay all the war reparations...i tried in vain to convince them that by debilitating us- by stripping us of our industries, our most precious resources, our very land, they were ultimately disadvantaging themselves. With thousands of our own people starving, we could hardly support our own people. We had a pretty bad reputation after the war, and so we had very few willing trade partners. AND WE DID NOT START THE WAR. HOW CAN A SINGLE COUNTRY BE BLAMED FOR STARTING A WAR?
Do you know, there actually existed a "War Guilt Clause" in the Treaty, which said that Germany was the sole country responsible?
IT WAS BECAUSE THE TREATY CONDITIONS WERE SO HARSH THAT BITTERNESS AND HATRED FESTERED IN THE NATION. THE PEOPLE WERE ANGRY, THEY WERE HUMILIATED. THEY WANTED REVENGE. AND THEN HITLER CAME, AND HE LIFTED THE PEOPLES HOPES. HE REPRESENTED A GERMANY THAT WASN'T SUPPRESSED.

AS SOON AS THE PEACE TREATY WAS SIGNED, THE MOST DEVASTATING WAR IN HISTORY WAS FIXED IN PLACE.

what a bloody paradox.

Well, as you can see from my former rant, i became quite passionate. I was patriotic to a country that i have never been to. omg...Tiffany gave me a mock hug after (cause she was a delegate of France) and i think Mrs Porter was really concerned that i had taken the debate too seriously, because she laid a hand on my arm and said
"are you all right Kate?"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hastily told her "yeah!"
"some people get really affected by these things" she said (i hope she believed me- she didn't sound concerned"
"it was fun." I said. I don't think she heard me.

It was fun. I could actually feel my heart knocking against my chest. I'm sure i'll see sense sooner or later, and will grieve over how much i embarrassed myself, haha. ah well. what's done is done.

My english essay, however, is not done, and i would dearly like it to be.

ciao!

WORDS OF THE DAY:

Bellicose = warlike in manner or temperament; pugnacious
Mephistophelian = fiendish
Abstruse = difficult to understand; recondite

No comments: