20080611

To day! march on, night to today.

Today, in math, Ploy said a very funny thing to me.
"Kate" she exclaimed! "You always listen to people! If there was a prize for listening, you'd get it!"
I was rather flattered.

Another occurrence noteworthy of today's recount eventuated after school, while i was waiting outside of Christchurch. Eleni flung her bag down, and turned excitedly to Rene and I.
"ok, can i tell you something?" she bubbled, "x says i'm boasting, but i got 24/25 for my english essay!"
'Wow', i said, and 'well done' and 'that's really good' and various other general replies that are necessary to such divulges of skill. I was impressed- more than impressed. I have to admit, i felt a little degraded, as my marks have not even come close to such a formidable numerical zenith...everyone supposes me to be some literary mastermind because i got a high distinction in some english competition in year eight. Ellen has touched on it repeatedly in english class, and i inwardly burn with shame. I know her motives to be good...but if they knew the precipitous slope which i have tumbled down, they would not eye me so reverently (and, on a number of occasions, with such ill-concealed jealousy). Note- once and for all- a lot can happen in three years. If you will allow me to be blunt, and indulge in the vernacular...i can't fuckin write essays. They petrify me. Writing is beginning to petrify me, as write essays is all we do in literature.
Anyway, i find myself skidding away from my intentional point of destination. What followed Eleni's grand disclosure of her genius was a short discussion on showing other people your results. Eleni asked me
"don't you tell other people your marks?"
"no..."
"Oh." she said, and her eyes widened, "you're one of them."
"One of them?" i repeated, twisting a wry smile.
"You're a Sharon. No, Sharon's worse, she actually hides her work."
My forehead creased into a puzzled frown.
"isn't it kind of personal...what people get?" i asked.
"well, yeah...but i like to know where i'm at," she replied, to which is perfectly valid in itself.
I find her method a little brazen, though. I don't know...she is very theatrical. Sometimes, i can't be sure whether her own dramatics are misleading her, or misleading me. I'm cruel, i know. And if anyone related should find these words, they will undoubtedly slander me for my own insensitivity. Ah, well. Harsher words escape in corridors.

I have a lake to fill with an eyedropper tonight, and hence must leave you now. So long, loyal bloggie. til next time.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: (Hamlet, Act V scene ii)

Hamlet has just been challenged to a duel with a Laertes, who wants revenge for the death of his father.

"Horatio: If your mind dislike anything, obey it. I will forestall their repair hither and say you are not fit.
Hamlet: Not a whit. We defy augury. There is special provdience in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come. The readiness is all. Since no man, of aught he leaves, knows aught, what is't to leave betimes? Let be."

St. Matthew, chapter 10: "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell./ Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father" (King James version)."

i love horatio. he alone stays true to Lord Hamlet, when everything else decays and stews about him.

No comments: