20080116

Unnerving Dream of past in future

i had a weird dream last night.

It was school again, and everyone was making their way towards assembly. Jemps was walking with me and asked me whether i had interviewed Adam Durtiz yet. I replied no, sadly not, because he hardly ever does gigs in Australia...in fact he never does. We entered the auditorium, and Jemps had to go off to take her place in the orchestra. I couldn't find anywhere to sit- well, there were empty spaces, but i didn't recognise any faces. People were getting impatient, so i went up this spare aisle so sit by myself. A couple of seconds later a group of people came up from the other side and sat down next to me. When i realised who they were, god, i was so terrified. It was Rosie, Chloe and Maddie-- friends from St Margarets. They were newly enrolled students at MLC; i couldn't believe it. They hadn't recognised me because it was dark, but just in case, i turned my head away from them. On stage, there was some production going on where people were dancing and skating about in a somewhat haphazarded fashion. Lin lin Doh was skating on the stage, executing magnificent leaps and turns. Suddenly i found myself part of a circle of students on stage, and we were all wearing skates too. Nobody was doing the correct movements, and so i tried to motivate them by performing them myself, but became embarrassed and stopped. I then found myself sitting down next to my old friends again, and i pulled my cap down so low on my face, all i could see was its dark interior. One of them spoke to me, and i murmered something quietly in reply, praying they wouldn't be able to identify my nasal pitch. Finally, the assembly ended, and i ran out. It was raining. I was finding it very hard to run, as though some invisible external force was physically obstructing my movement. Michelle Wakeman called out and laughed snidely at me, but i was more concerned about the matter at hand. How could this be? How could they be HERE? At MLC? Why? WHY?
It was break, and so i turned to the lockers (still year 10). I realised i had forgotten to pick up some forms which my mother had prepared which informed me which locker number i had. I was agitated until i recalled i had heaved my bag on top of the lockers earlier on. I felt a bit muddled- i wasn't sure if it was recess or lunch. I mean, i looked at my watch and it was 12:00, but i couldn't recall sitting down with Sam and Ness under the tree eariler on. So i asked Eleni, and she laughed incredulously.
"yeah, yeah, i know. Hey, it's the first day of school" i replied to her snickerings.


and yeah. That's it. In that split second after i woke in which the dream-world melds into reality, i actually believed Rosie and co were here, in perth. I had to remind myself it was still holidays.

Do any of you get that sensation, just when you're about to sink into slumber when your whole self undergoes a kind of spasm, and you jerk awake for a second or two, before sliding down into the darkness of closed eyelids again? It has been happening to me a lot lately...and it feels very strange.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: (Deja Vu-- something for kate)

And I sleepwalk around, two feet off the ground,
while the real world is trying to reach me.
And when the rain comes down, I see it all now.

Standing on the great divide,
of some collision between, ordinary and imaginary lives.
And this could be your lucky day, 'cause if tomorrow ever comes,
you'll be looking, looking the other way.

And you sleepwalk around, two feet off the ground,
while the real world is trying to reach you.
With stories that you, already knew.

No comments: