20080113

will most certainly contain large amounts of profanity

I watched "the departed" last night. Kate's proffesional response: meh.
I was personally expecting a great deal more as a result of the degree of accolade it received from the critics. I recall they raved about it for some time. However, i did not find the script too ingenious. It relied on the small enjoyment people get out of hearing the word 'fuck.' That little word cropped up everywhere, and i mean everywhere. I am being absolutely dead honest when i say that there might have been only 1 or 2 sentences in the movie in which it did not appear. You think i am joking, perhaps? Pulling your leg, tickling your funny bone? I am not.

exhibit 1

Frank Costello: I got this rat, this gnawing, cheese eating fuckin' rat and it brings up questions... You know, see, Bill, like you're the new guy. Girlfriend... Why don't you stay in the bar that night I got your numbers. Social Security numbers. Everybody's fuckin' numbers.
Billy Costigan: Is there something that you just wanna go ahead and ask me? 'Cause I'll give you the fuckin' answer, all right? Frank, look at me. Look at me. I'm not the fuckin' rat. Okay? I'm not the fuckin' rat.

exhibit 2

Dignam: Your fuckin' family's dug into the Southie projects like ticks. Three-decker men at best. You, however, grew up on the North Shore, huh? Well, la-di-fuckin'-da. You were kind of a double kid, I bet, right? Huh? One kid with your old man, one kid with your mother. You're upper-middle class during the weeks, then you're droppin' your "R"s and you're hangin' in the big, bad Southie projects with your daddy, the fuckin' donkey on the weekends. I got that right? Dignam: [Billy does not answer] Yup. You have different accents? You did, didn't you? You little fuckin' snake. You were like different people.
Billy Costigan: You a psychiatrist?
Dignam: Well, if I was I'd ask you why your a Statie making 30 grand a year. And I think if I was Sigmund fuckin' Freud I wouldn't get an answer. So tell me, what's a lace-curtain motherfucker like you doing in the Staties?
Billy Costigan: Families are always rising or falling in America, am I right?
Oliver Queenan: Who said that?
Billy Costigan: Hawthorne.
Dignam: [Dignam makes a farting sound] What's the matter, smartass, you don't know any fuckin' Shakespeare?

You know, it is almost fuckin hilarious.
oh...and if i haven't put you off enough already, everyone dies in the end. Hah. Yes, i have spoiled it for everyone. What an undeniably errant thing for me to do.

I think it would be quite cool to be a critic. Slagging down all the hideous films and books. Well, apart from the fact you'd attract hatred like a dungbeetle to a pile of faeces.

I love morals. I love watching as they fly out the window.

Last night, an ad came on, you know, one of those 'back to school stationary' ads.
*kates pupils dilate. In slow motion, she makes an enormous lunge towards the remote. NOOOOOOOO! her finger presses down on the button. The station turns. relief. But the memory remains.*
Actually, i am almost *almost* looking forward to school. A nice change, one could say. Yes, the thought of having to actually work for a change scares the bejeeeeezus outta me, but, yknow. It would be...a nice change. So diminished though.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: ( Basket Case-- Green Day...wow. i have just realised how relevant this is. hah! apart from the stoned part, of course. That was yesterday.)

Do you have the time
To listen to me whine
About nothing and everything
All at once
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone
No doubt about it
Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid?
Or I'm just stoned?

No comments: